Pages

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Breast Cancer...

... it's what I feel like blogging about.  Two things are huge in my mind whenever I think about my adventures in oncology. One is Trish's dinners; the other is passing my NPGA judge's license.  They have nothing to do with one another; but are the two highpoints of that time -- if you can have a highpoint with cancer.
#1. Some background) Trish and I have been friends for a long time; sometimes it feels like we've known each other forever.   We're more like siblings in some regards (mostly because I wouldn't feel comfortable to bitch at someone like I bitch at Trish unless we were really close and, I suspect, vice-versa).  Trish and I have a LOT of history -- (aside to TW: remember when I had a screaming fit AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS at an ECHO horseshow? Now, before you get all cocky, remember the Faith-and-the-Flat-Medal fiasco? Well, we did survive both of those).


When my mom died, Trish took charge and supplied us with dinner, wine, some flowers, and a lot of comfort.  When Trish's mom was dying, I went and sat with her.  Of course in true Trish-and-Denise fashion, the exchange went something like this (Trish's mom was nearing the end and was not responding to us):


TW: MOM, ARE YOU DOING OKAY?  I JUST WANT YOU TO KNOW I'M HERE WITH YOU?
DF: Angela, it's Denise.  Remember me?  I'm Jess's mom.
TW: MOM? I LOVE YOU. 
DF: Angela, we're here with you.
TW: I'M HERE, MOM. EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE OKAY.
DF: (an aside to TW) Jesus, Trish, what are you yelling about?  She knows we're here.  She may not be responding, but you don't have to yell.
TW: (whispering back) What are you talking about?  I have to yell!  Even at her best, she's been deaf for years now!
DF: Oh, yeah..... ANGELA.  IT'S DENISE. HOW ARE YOU?


So, on to ---
#1A, subtitled "The Best Meals I Never Ate"
     After I was diagnosed with BC, part of my treatment was chemotherapy.  I had 8 rounds of chemo in five months.  My first treatment was December 31st, 2007.  My last was June 9, 2008, two days after Jess's high school graduation and exactly one week before I tested for my NPGA judge's license.  I scheduled chemo treatments on Mondays with the hope I'd be back to work by Thursday or Friday. 


     Trish arranged for our friends to supply meals for my family for the week whenever I had a treatment.  Every week -- every single week -- that I had chemo, my friends showed up with homecooked meals for me and my family. I had eight rounds of chemo.  That's forty dinners.  Forty dinners were cooked and delivered to my door.  Most I couldn't eat.  But they were the best dinners I've ever had.


Today I am still in awe by this feat.  I am grateful and humbled and thankful for the generosity, support, and love that I received.  Thank you, Trish.

No comments:

Post a Comment