Pages

Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Fifteen Minutes of Fame -- Laying the Foundation

USA Today ran an article on "urban goats" a couple of weeks ago.  Some cities -- at least out here on the West Coast -- have allowed zoning for pet goats in their city limits.  Apparently a producer for CBS news saw the article and contacted the NPGA.  To make a long story shorter, I was contacted by a CBS producer who wanted to a news feature on miniature goats as pets and wanted to interview me.  Of course, I said yes!
Robin (the producer) asked me to provide the following for the intereview --
  1. Charismatic, photogenic children who wouldn't be shy on camera.
  2. friendly, personable goats who presumably also wouldn't be shy on camera
  3. the afore-mentioned children and goats living where there are sidewalks, so the charismatic, photogenic children and the friendly, personable goats could be filmed walking down their sidewalk
  4. and finally, baby goats...well, infant goats. Not two-month olds, not weanlings, not young goats.  Babies.
Well we live in a pretty damn urban area, but we don't have sidewalks.  And although I do have young goats and goats that are due to kid any day,I have no "infant" goats.  And since this is a "news" piece, there is apparently some sort of truth in reporting, I suppose, so there was to be no transporting "country" goats to the city.  Hmm.
Well, thank God for Donna.  She was able to work her magic and find a 4Her who lived across the street from a housing development with sidewalks! And, Donna had baby goats. Not exactly pygmies, but an Oberhalsi and a Boer-mix.  The cute factor was over the top.
We were scheduled for Wednesday, St Patrick's Day.  Robin was starting with the 4H family, Donna was going to be there to be intereviewed, and then they were coming to my house to interview me.  And let me tell you what went into getting ready!

(to be continued)

2 comments: