Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

What I like about me (I really know how to dance)

I woke up this morning in the mood to blog.  I can't decide what to blog about because at least three topics jumped to my mind, but I'm going with this title.  I'm not really that great a dancer, so if the title confuses you, either I'm too old to be blogging or you're too young to read my blog!

I have the ability to see humor in the oddest places.   And it's something I DO like about myself -- I can find joy in the mundane, I laugh at inopportune times.  I'm witty, I'm irreverent, and I am appropriately inappropriate.  Have you read my blog "MEMs"?  Read it.  Because at the very end, when the lights went up, I started laughing.  And laughing.  And I'm still laughing today. 

Laughter helps me cope with some of life's tougher times.  It can turn a tragic moment into a gentler memory, a softer memory.  When my mom was in mid-stage Alzheimer's, she came out of the bedroom  one day and said very seriously, "I think I have a problem."  Of course, my heart about stopped and I said, "What's up, Mom?"  At that moment, she yanked her shirt up to show me that she had her bra on backwards," Does this look right to you?"  I immediately started laughing and said, "Mom, unless you have boobs on your back now, I think we better turn that around."  And we both had a good laugh.  It sure beats crying...

                                                              ***

Somehow, whether through nature or nuture, both Larry and Jess own similar traits.  Here we are getting ready to decorate the Christmas tree.   This was about three weeks after I was diagnosed with breast cancer.  I was undergoing test after test and everything was topsy-turvy.
You would think that we might be a little subdued, or least a little more traditional in our celebration.  But, not us.  It's not in our nature.  As the kids are trying to straighten the tree and put the lights on, I decide we need to document our holiday and go with an anit-drug theme -- "Say No to Crack."

Here's Jess with her first attempt with the tree.

Then she realizes that I really do have the camera.

Now it's becoming too difficult to work on the tree while holding one belt loop, so Larry steps in...
(ooh, maybe I should offer to wax that for him)


Allan refuses to part of this idiocy and stays on the sofa... he's a real stick in the mud sometimes.
And that's us.  I'm not sure we have any pics of the actual tree once it's decorated.  But I look at theses pics and I laugh.  It's a good memory. It's how we roll.

***

 
(P.S. I also rule with spelling and puncuation.) 

1 comment: