Pages

Sunday, July 4, 2010

It's a small world after all; it's a small, small world

I was on Facebook yesterday  (a common occurrence for me and a constant source of annoyance for Allan), and I had a message from one of my "friends" in South Africa.  I "met" Willem Pretorious, a farmer in SA,  a number of months back.  Somehow Willem and I found each other through a mutual goat friend and have been friends ever since.  We chat on line -- he tells me I need to learn Afrikaans and I tell him someday I will.   (I have learned about three words, and I do send messages to Willem in his language -- thank God for Google Translator!)

Anyway, yesterday I had this message from Willem's account:  "Hello, My name is Steven and I'm sitting here with Willem after a nice BBQ. I was born and raised in San Diego myself. I'm now living here in South Africa and loving it. Willem said he had a friend from San Diego so I wanted to say hi and that we have a very nice friend here. Willem and his family are super cool and really know how to enjoy life. Willem wanted me to say hello and see your profile. Small world, Facebook helps too! Take care, Steven."

Well, Willem was online, so I immediately messaged him.   Steven and I had quite a chat.  Here was a man I've never met, sitting on a huge farm in SA thousands of miles away, and we discovered that not only did Steven and I come from the same town  -- we actually WENT TO THE SAME GRADE SCHOOL!!!!  (Go Sacred Heart, Coronado!)

..........it's a world of laughter, a world of tears..........it's a small, small world......

No comments:

Post a Comment