Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

JCA does PR

Jess is in Puerto Rico.  She and Kelsey, her friend from the equestrian team at Rutgers, flew down to spend 10 days hanging out with a family friend.  I think Jess may be the luckiest little turd on earth.  This was her email to Allan and me this morning.....


"Hola mami y papi,



Puerto Rico is wonderful. I'll write you a long email since I haven't gotten to talk much in detail about things here.


For starters, we landed in Aguadilla at 12:45 on Tuesday morning and met Pablo the Puerto Rican and were picked up by Francis. It was only a 40 minute drive or so to Fran's house is Cabo Rojo. We stayed at his house that night, woke up the next morning and ate breakfast made by his mom (fritadas and home-made tortillas) and then loaded the car up to go to his camper at the beach.


Let me tell you a few things about this camper. It's a one bedroom, although I would just call it a one-room, with a bathroom (with shower) that is about the size of our closet in the foyer. I'm not exaggerating. Outside, there's a patio/sitting area that's divided in half by folding doors that opens to a semi-outdoor kitchen. The camper is also in Cabo Rojo (five minutes from Francis' house) on Buye Beach (Playa Buye). It has three beds, one of which is a bunk bed, and yes the three of us sleep in there. I know he has cooties, but I haven't gotten itchy yet.


Last night Francis had three of his friends over, Pedro, Phillip y Laura. (It's not Laura, it's LOWra -- naturally.) I taught them how to play the card games golf and spoons, which they loved, and they taught us some Spanish. Pedro is thinking about going to Rutgers for a baseball scholarship, so atleast now he knows us.


This morning we slept until 10, woke up to find out we had no water for some reason, so we went kayaking to a cayo (small island). We figure salt water is better than no water for a shower. Tomorrow we're going to Old San Juan, doing some really tourist-y things, and on Friday we're going to a river that's in the middle of the island to jump off cliffs and swim! I'm so excited! After that, we're going to check out caves around the island and on Sunday or Monday we're going ziplining somewhere. It's allegedly the longest one in the world, but I guess we'll see.


Phillip is supposed to take us out on his boat one of these days, and we're also supposed to go to a discotec one of these nights. And Pedro taught me how to do the merengue, because Kelsey was too embarrassed to dance, but you know me. I don't mind making a fool of myself much.


Funny story: when I practice my Spanish with Francis and his friends, they tell me I sound like a Mexican and have a Mexican accent. Gee, I wonder why? Turns out I apparently know a lot of Mexican slang, and they just laugh at me.






Anywho, that's about all I have to tell as of now. Seems like a lot since it's only my third day here! I'll email you when we have a signal. I'm having a ton of fun, but I miss home! I love you guys!






- su hija


p.s. Mom, Francis says there are no lifeguards here... I wore a vest when we kayaked though, just to make you feel better."

God, I love my kids!  They are awesome!  They crack me up.

(ps "Pablo the Puerto Rican" is a Border Patrol agent that Allan knows who's stationed in PR.  Allan called in a favor and had Pablo meet the girls and check everything out.  Pablo will be on high alert for the rest of the week. Sometimes it pays to sleep with a drug cop!)

No comments:

Post a Comment