Pages

Monday, November 7, 2011

La Turista Treks On



After my impromptu cheering for the arrival of the Honor Flight, I headed down to pick up my car and drive to Longview.  I had a rather short drive -- less than an hour and arrived at my hotel before noon.  I wasn't judging til late in the afternoon, so I still had plenty of time.

I checked in and I had a room with a KING BED ALL TO MYSELF.  I immediately felt the need for a nap, but was able to resist because I wanted to explore the town.  I'd picked up a local map and brochure in the hotel lobby and was ready for action.

Whenever I travel, I look for something noteworthy to see.   I embrace my inner dorkiness, and even though I'm usually alone,  I head out to see the sights. 


I've been to the rattlesnake museum in Albuquerque.   In New Orleans, I did a graveyard tour in a mule-drawn buggy and  the D-Day museum (where I saw a USAF flight jacket identical to the one Dad gave me years ago and still have).  This summer after I judged in Hagerstown, Md.,  I spent an afternoon at the battlefield of Antietam (did my dad proud by watching the entire documentary and a reenactment).  Driving in Texas once, I became addicted to stopping and reading the roadside historical markers.  Those Texans have a marker for nearly everything, and I was compelled to stop at as many as I could, in fear that I'd miss a good one!   (I was also able to stop and do a little holiday shopping at Bubba's liquor store and home-made candle shop).

Longview isn't very big, but after a quick trip to a local grocery for lunch stuff (one bbq'd chicken breast, apples, iced tea), I saw the sights -- er, the sight.  Of course, everyone knows that Longview is world renowned for having the smallest, architectural suspension bridge. (oh, you didn't know that?)  It's for squirrels, built over a busy road, in an effort to keep the squirrels from being hit by cars.  I'm sure squirrels actually do use it (I didn't get to see any), but do they use it instead of the street?  I mean, do they run  up a tree, across the bridge, then back down a tree, instead of just crossing the street?  It remains a mystery.





Then I walked around the historic downtown area (four blocks) or so and learned a lot a little about the town.  It's a small town.  I had gotten up really early to catch my flight, so I felt justified in heading back to the motel for that nap.

 A king-sized bed, alone, no one to share it with.  We've a king bed at home too, but it gets a little small for all six of us.  Yes, that's right, six.  Two people, three dogs, one cat.  That's 20 feet, 3.5 tails, and 5 other faces to avoid with their morning breath.    So I laid down flat on my back and spreadeagled as far as I could: Luxury.  Then I decided to gather all the pillows where I wanted them, and prop up and read.  I finished off this hedonism by watching reruns of SNL, lying sideways on the bed, eating an apple.   *sigh*  It was glorious.

Finally it was time to head to show...





















1 comment:

  1. If I were a squirrel, I'd use that bridge. Especially if there were any Peanuts on the other side. Why did the Marigold cross the road?

    ReplyDelete