Pages

Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Letter to My Daughter on Her Birthday... well, 19 Days after Her Birthday

Dear Jessica,

You recently turned 20. I wanted to do some sort of a -- I don't know -- photographic history of your first 20 years. And I wanted to tell you how I am so proud of you.  And how much I love you.  And how I would do anything for you.  And how I know I am not a perfect mother, but I have tried to be a good mom.  Then, as I went through the old pictures, I found some pics that really just summed up you.



Do you see that picture above?  Look, I'm pregnant.  That's you hiding under that pink tent.  That's probably about the last time I ever really had control over you....

 ...now look at the pictures below... that face...that face...

That is the face of a girl who ripped off her shirt and threw it into the giraffe enclosure at the Animal Park because she didn't like the shirt (damn you were quick).  That is the face of a someone who came running to me crying that she had cut her finger -- trying to shave the dog's tale with my razor.  That is the face of someone who never believed in "no." That is the face of YOU.







(Didn't I ever tell you not to make that face; that it could freeze that way?)

The next group of pictures called to me as well.
Once again, I have tried to be the best mother I can,
and I know I have made mistakes,
but some things you just can't hold me responsible for:






you have a certain style, Jessica, you certainly do.

Love, Mom

(ps don't make fun of your sister, Larry.  I have many, many more photo albums)

2 comments:

  1. Oy. The goatmother's special face maker is 30 now. Double Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marigold, what happened to those little faces? They grew up so quickly...thank God, we have our goats!

    ReplyDelete